...
Call us Instagram Messenger
Destination and stays in Beaujolais
Destination and stays in Beaujolais Route des vins Group

L’ancien Hôtel-Dieu

  • Villefranche-sur-Saône

04 74 07 27 40

96 rue de la Sous-Préfecture
69400 Villefranche-sur-Saône

Get there (GPS) contact,destination-beaujolais,com Website

In the XVII century, the Hôtel Dieu took the place of the previous hospitals which had become antiquated and dilapidated.

Throughout history, Villefanche had several types of hospitals. During the XII century, the Pescherie hospital welcomed the city’s poor while, in the South, the Léproserie de la Maladière treated lepers. During the XII century, the Roncevaux hospital in the north near the porte de Belleville opened its doors to travellers. During the XVI century, the Hôpital de la Quarantaine dedicated itself to victims of the plague and In the 16th century, the Hôtel Dieu took the place of the previous hospitals which had become too old. Construction began in 1644 thanks to gifts from Nicolas Gay and, later, from Guillaume Corlin. The construction lasted several decades along the Morgon River at the current location of the Visitors’ Center and, perpendicularly to what is today the Salle des Echevins. At the end of the 17th century, the large reception room of the current auditorium was built. The sumptuous décor of the Chapel was painted in 1682. Later, other buildings were erected on the rue Corlin closing the courtyard which is named after Charlotte Fresnay, the hospital’s historian. Thoroughly restored, its façade on the rue de la Sous-Préfecture is in the classic style from the reign of Louis XIV while the décor of the Chapel evokes Italian Baroque. The building no longer served as a hospital beginning in 1982; the current hospital is now in Gleizé.






















the porte de Belleville opened its doors to travellers. During the XVI century, the Hôpital de la Quarantaine dedicated itself to victims of the plague and In the 16th century, the Hôtel Dieu took the place of the previous hospitals which had become too old. Construction began in 1644 thanks to gifts from Nicolas Gay and, later, from Guillaume Corlin. The construction lasted several decades along the Morgon River at the current location of the Visitors’ Center and, perpendicularly to what is today the Salle des Echevins. At the end of the 17th century, the large reception room of the current auditorium was built. The sumptuous décor of the Chapel was painted in 1682. Later, other buildings were erected on the rue Corlin closing the courtyard which is named after Charlotte Fresnay, the hospital’s historian. Thoroughly restored, its façade on the rue de la Sous-Préfecture is in the classic style from the reign of Louis XIV while the décor of the Chapel evokes Italian Baroque. The building no longer served as a hospital beginning in 1982; the current hospital is now in Gleizé.